From 400 people at the first Darkness Into Light in 2009 to 130,000 people last year, DIL has become a movement in more ways than one across Ireland and all over the world. We would love you to join us this May!
Saturday, 6th of May 2017
Coláiste Muire, Ballymote, Co. Sligo
- Due to the unprecedented level of support for Darkness Into Light this year, we have almost exhausted our supplies of T-shirts at venues across Ireland. We apologise to everyone who won't receive one in time for the walk, and if you have a T-shirt from previous years please feel free to wear it! We will be making provisions to have a 2017 T-shirt available for every registered participant as a keepsake should they wish to receive one after the event, and will post further details on this next week. Thank you all for your continued support. Our work could not continue without you and we are eternally grateful to see this movement grow and grow - even if it runs away from us a little bit sometimes!
- Please arrive 30 minutes before the start time. Please allow time for parking.
- Each participant must have a torch for health and safety reasons.
- There will be no storage for personal items during the event, so please come ready to walk/run.
- Please respect traffic wardens and event signage, and follow instructions on arrival. Help us keep our venues clean and place any litter in bins provided.
- Ballymote Gardaí will be enforcing traffic restrictions from 3:00 A.M. on Saturday morning with road closures at 4:00 A.M. for the duration of the Darkness into Light walk. Please ensure that you arrive in plenty of time and follow marshal's guidance. Any cars found to be causing an obstruction will be towed by the Gardaí.
- Dogs are very welcome on the Ballymote Darkness into Light Walk/Run provided that you and they follow these simple rules:o Each individual dog MUST be kept on a short individual lead to minimise the risk of trips in the dark - under no circumstances can they be off the lead at any point!o For their own wellbeing, only dogs that are comfortable around large numbers of people and other dogs should be brought - anxious dogs would be miserable, and could snap through fear (yes even your little darling!)o If it is a legal requirement for the breed, your dog must be muzzled.o Owners *must* clean up after their dogs - with hundreds of walkers expected in Ballymote this is even more important than usual!o We ask that dogs (and their walkers) start at the back of the crowd.
The walk will take the following route:
Start at Coláiste Muire, turn right out the gate. Down the hill past Spraoi Childcare Centre. At Scoil Mhuire gan Smál National School, turn right into Marren Park. Continue past the school playground, and with the Health Centre on your right, turn left into Marren Park. At the end of Marren Park, turn left around Corran College, then right and right again at the pedestrian lights.
Opposite the Art Deco Theatre, turn left behind the courthouse and past Ballymote Aurivo Mart. At the end of the road, turn right, and when in front of Ulster Bank, turn left.
Go down the hill, and at the roundabout outside Rogers Hardware, turn right onto Gurteen Road. Turn into the Town Park and walk through, past Ballymote Castle, through the tunnel, through Irish Rail car park into the remainder of the Town Park. Follow the path through the park, past the bandstand and out to the Sligo Road.
Turn left and walk to the Aurivo Homeland Store on the left. Cross the road into the grounds of Brother Walfrid Park at the Astro Pitch. Go to the track around Corran Park and do one lap.
Exit Br Walfrid Park and turn left back towards town centre. Walk past Stonepark, and continue along the footpath, back past the Costcutter shop, Casey's pharmacy, the Courthouse, the Art Deco, Scoil Mhuire Gan Smál and Spraoi to finish outside Coláiste Muire.
Ballymote Gardaí will be enforcing traffic restrictions from 3:00 A.M. on Saturday morning with road closures at 4:00 A.M. for the duration of the Darkness into Light walk. Please ensure that you arrive in plenty of time and follow marshal's guidance. Car Parks will be available at various points into and out of Ballymote, and will be clearly signposted and marshalled on the night. Any cars found to be causing an obstruction will be towed by the Gardaí.
We plan to have car parking available at the following venues, all of whom have graciously allowed us to use their spaces for this event:
o Coach House Hotel, Lord Edward St (up to 60 spaces);
o Church of the Immaculate Conception, Station Rd (up to 50 spaces);
o Kane's Supervalu, back car park (35 spaces);
o Perry's Costcutter, back car park (35 spaces);
o Aurivo Mart, front (30 spaces) and back (30 spaces);
o Abbey Pastoral Centre, Station Rd (30 spaces);
o Irish Rail, Station Rd (30 spaces);
o New Primary Care Centre building site, Marren Pk (27 spaces);
o Rear of Courthouse (25 spaces);
o Front of Courthouse/ Gallagher's Vet (15 spaces);
o Corran College, Marren Pk (18 spaces);
o Scoil Mhuire gan Smál Car park (12 spaces).
Got questions about this specific event venue?Click here to contact this venue
Top Fundraising Participants & Teams
Special thanks to the Darkness Into Light participants who have taken the extra step to fundraise and have earned their fundraising badge!